The Nigeria Football Federation, NFF has confirmed that Sao Tome and Principe have withdrawn from the 2024 Women Africa Cup of Nations, WAFCON first round against the Super Falcons Nigeria.
The nine-time African champions were to host the Sao Tome ladies in the first leg of the qualifying match at the Mobolaji Johnson Arena, Lagos on Friday, with the return leg scheduled for Tuesday, September, 26.
The NFF had last week released a list of 24 players for the clash, with camp scheduled to open today, Tuesday.
NFF’s Director of Communications, Ademola Olajire, said logistics is the primary reason for their opponents’ withdrawal from the WAFCON qualifiers.
Meanwhile, an official of the Falcons said the Super Eagles’ victory over Sao Tome’s men’s side may have played a role in their ladies’ withdrawal.