A Sudanese official has denied that over one hundred people were killed by a paramilitary unit during protests, saying that the number is at most forty six.
Doctors linked to the opposition said at least one hundred people had been killed in the capital, Khartoum, amid pro-democracy protests.
They said forty bodies were pulled from the River Nile in Khartoum.
Authorities had initially stayed quiet, but a Health Ministry Official put the number at forty six early today, Thursday.
Sudanese opposition activists have rejected an offer of talks from the country’s military council, saying it cannot be trusted amid a violent crackdown on protesters.
The Deputy Head of the Military Council defended the violent suppression, claiming that the protesters had been infiltrated by rogue elements and drug dealers.