Mali’s government has announced the sacking of top military officers and the dissolution of a militia, a day after the killing of more than 130 people.
Prime Minister Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga said new Military Chiefs would be named, and that the Dan Nan Ambassagou association, comprising Dogon hunters, had been dissolved.
Survivors of Saturday’s attack said ethnic Dogon hunters carried out the raid in Ogossagou, a village in central Mali inhabited by the Fulani community.
Army Chief of Staff General M’Bemba Moussa Keita was removed and replaced by General Abdoulaye Coulibaly, while Chief of Land Forces General Abdrahamane Baby was replaced by Brigadier General Keba Sangare.
The developments came hours after President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita called an emergency meeting in response to the attack, in which at least 134 men, women and children were killed.
The victims were shot or hacked to death with machetes.